Psychology: Recommended Readings
Q. Are there any books on psychology which you would recommend?
A. Praise be to Allaah.
If you are asking about the names of books on the field of Islamic psychology, the answer is that unfortunately there are still very few modern books in this field. There is a need for people who have studied the Qur‘aan and Sunnah, and who have an insight into and practical experience of human psychology, as well as knowledge of the experience and writings of non-Muslims in this field, to write about this subject properly and produce useful work in this field.
In any case, there are a few modern books in this field, which include the following:
- …Ilm al-Nafs al-Da‘wi (The psychology of Da‘wah) by …Abd al-…Azeez Muhammad al-Naghmeeshi
- Madkhil ila al-Tarbiyah al-Islamiyah (Introduction to Islamic education) by …Abd al-Rahmaan al-Yaami
- Usas al-Sihhah al-Nafsiyyah li‘l-Tifl al-Muslim (Principles of psychological health of the Muslim child) by Maalik Badri
- Al-Tafakkur min al-Mushaahadah ila‘l-Shuhood: Diraasat Nafsiyah Islamiyah (From seeing to bearing witness: a study in Islamic psychology) by Maalik Badri
- …Ilm al-Nafs al-Ta‘leemi (Educational Psychology) by Muhammad Khaleefah Barakaat
- Araa‘ Ibn al-Qayyim al-Tarbawiyah (The educational thought of Ibn al-Qayyim) by Hasan …Ali Hasan al-Hijaaji
- Diraasaat fi‘l-Nafs al-Insaaniyah (Studies in Human Psychology) by Muhammad Qutb
- Manhaj al-Tarbiyah al-Islamiyah (Methodology of Islamic education) (2 vols.) by Muhammad Qutb
- …Ilm al-Nafs fi Hayaatinaa al-Yawmiyah (Everyday Psychology) by Muhammad …Uthmaan Najaati
- …Ilm al-Nafs al-Takweeni (Formative Psychology) by …Abd al-Hameed Muhammad al-Haashimi
- Al-Muraahiqoon (Teenagers) by …Abd al-…Azeez Muhammad al-Naghmeeshi
- Usool …Ilm al-Nafs al-…Aam (Principles of general psychology) by …Abd al-Hameed Muhammad al-Haashimi
The first reference given will give you more details about these references, in sha Allaah. We ask Allaah to give you help and strength.
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid